Wednesday, July 16, 2008

New Day #202

Everyone here in Portland is talking about the near-fatal incident of an irate driver dragging a cyclist on his hood after the cyclist scolded him. With gas prices rising, this won't be the last confrontation.

I myself got in a little bike mischief today, though it was of my own doing. I rode to Beaverton today (17 miles round-trip--woo-hoo!) to see my mom, with the idea that perhaps I'd come upon something new to do today. You see, one of the advantages of cycling over driving is that you have time to notice things you miss while speeding along in a car, like the Carriage House Car Wash/Bakery/Gift Shoppe, which I can honestly say is the finest Car Wash/Bakery/Gift Shoppe I've ever seen.

Still, today's New Thing didn't occur to me until I stopped for groceries. I was about to lock up my bike and take my saddle bags inside with me when I realized, "Why bother? I'm only going to put them into another wheeled vehicle." So I brought my bike in the store and used it as my shopping cart.

While the idea made sense, I must confess it made me really nervous, like some manager was going to scold me, which might turn into an altercation with me being dragged along an aisle by a shopping cart.

Hey, it could happen.

No photo, so here's some guy "chin-synching" Queen's "Bicycle Song."




Digg | Del.icio.us | Reddit | StumbleUpon

3 comments:

Rick Bettencourt said...

Glad to hear you're going green and bicycling the 17 miles. Ingenious idea to use your bike as a cart.

My adventures said...

That's very clever. I'm not sure I could get away with that where I live. They're not as mellow as Portland.

David S. said...

And now I've been introduced to the slightly disturbing world of chin singing. "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe..."