Monday, August 25, 2008

New Day #242


This probably comes as a surprise to no one but me, but I had no idea I talked so much. I mean, despite my gift for gab, I spend a lot of quiet time alone facing the blinking cursor. So I thought I was going to enjoy the peace of taking a Vow of Silence.

I lasted nine hours.

You see, I confused solitude with silence. Apparently, one of the reasons that I can spend long periods of time alone is that I talk to myself. I scold ("Oh, Marco..."). I ask myself questions ("Now why did I come in here again?"). I ask the dog questions. ("Do you want a cookie?") I read everything I write out loud, including e-mail. I practice what I will say to people. I sing. A lot. I also discovered that I am incapable of calculating calories in my head.

Frankly, I found the whole experience frustrating and repressive. Hitting the mute button only increased the the volume in my head, stifling all those thoughts which normally flow freely.

"Be sure to let your readers know how much I enjoyed it," Floyd said.

I responded with a Bronx Cheer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Slience vs. solitude...a good observation. As a writer, you spend a lot of time alone even though you are a gregarious social bird. I would think talking to yourself and the dog would be the only way to get by.

therese patrick, author said...

Floyd may have enjoyed the change because it was a "new thing" for him but if he wanted meek and silent he wouldn't be your loudest fan.

dpaste said...

Actually, creating outward silence is the first step towards creating inner silence, because it forces you to address it. It actually is quite freeing when you embrace it. However, I'd recommend removing yourself from everyday surroundings the next time you try it. Perhaps a weekend in the country?