Thursday, August 7, 2008

New Day #224

I've visited my alma mater at least eight times since graduating eighteen years ago. But coming here with this project in mind has made me see Colorado College and Colorado Springs through new eyes. For instance, I knew in a vague way that the American Numismatic Musuem, the only museum in the country dedicated to the exhibition of money, was close to school. But it was only on this trip that I realized that it's actually right next door to the music department building, which is where I spent the most time.


So I finally went. And saw a fascinating exhibit called "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly," showing coins of, well, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I was particularly interested in the latter two, examining coins of Hitler, Stalin, Franco, Mao, Saddam Hussein, as well as two of the homeliest monarchs ever, Charles III of Spain and Leopold I, the Holy Roman Emperor.



Inbreeding, don't ya' know.

Digg | Del.icio.us | Reddit | StumbleUponma

1 comment:

Debbi said...

The picture on the coin made me laugh out loud. Snickered actually. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.