Tuesday, October 21, 2008

New Day #299


We get a lot of spider webs around our house. This in itself doesn't bother me as I like the metaphor of all humankind being interconnected, etc. But I typically avoid them because...well, I realized today that I have no idea. I

So I walked into one. Face first. (The spider wasn't home, so I didn't feel like I was displacing anybody.) As with many things I've tried this year that I've resisted, I realized it wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was kind of pleasant, like a silk veil being draped over my face. The slightest hint of stickiness, but nothing so severe that I felt like I had to wipe it off. Intriguingly, it lay invisibly on my skin and I had the odd sensation of wearing the web unseen.

And now I don't have to worry about running into one again.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

¡Be careful!
I was once bitten by a spider, one of those hairy creatures, with a white cross on it´s back, and had to have the poison cut out of my foot with a knife... AWWW!

Rick Bettencourt said...

You mean you did this on purpose? Good Lord you'll try anything.

David said...

If you mow a lawn with trees (like mine) you'll have that 'pleasant' sensation more often, except that the problem with walking through a spider web is you don't know beforehand whether it's occupied or not! I've found that staying calm is quite useful, because sometimes I'll find the spider just dropping down off my head onto the ground (their natural instinct is to get away from the behemoth that's torn their home asunder). If they feel trapped or confronted, that's when the trouble starts. I'm always relieved to actually see them, because then I know they aren't stuck in my hair or in my shirt somewhere.

dpaste said...

I've run into them plenty of times and "ack" I just hate that feeling. It totally creeps me out. I've never been bitten but the sensation of the web on my face is completely unpleasant to me.

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

There is no way that I could do that - not a chance. I am terrified of spiders/possibility of spiders.

You are officially insane, and I like that in a person.

Greg said...

Just be careful of the ones that you can't see at night with big spiders in them. I've walked into plenty like that around the apartment and found the spider crawling across my shirt or glasses once inside the apartment.

Fran said...

I inadvertantly walked through a spider web and our neighbor came running, hearing the strangling sounds I was making -- too terrified to scream, you understand. The thought of SPIDER in waist-length hair when I'm arachnophobic to begin with was beyond horrible. "Charlotte's Web" gave me nightmares.

You are a brave and selfless and completely, totally insane man! I'm so glad I know you!

therese patrick, author said...

Damn, Marc! I'm so proud of you!

Who you will be at the end of this new-thing-each-day for a whole year...

AWESOME!

Keep the energy going.

David said...

Man, you're kinda brave for doing that, but even so... *shudder*