Sunday, July 27, 2008

New Day #213

My parents broke up when I was twelve, with my father retaining custody. As such, I learned quickly to get dinner on the table and have ever since for the past thirty years.

Consequently, I'm a competent survival cook, the kind of person who can take a fridge full of leftovers and make something edible. ( Let's see--there's a pork chop, a banana and some cous cous. Let's make a casserole!) I don't enjoy following recipes, so it's Floyd who usually prepares meals when we have company, with me hovering and micromanaging.

Tonight, however, I did something entirely new and instead chose to be a guest at my own dinner party, even arriving late. Then I exercised immense restraint. For instance, I didn't change the iPod shuffle when it turned to embarrassingly gay selections like Gloria Gaynor's cover of "I Am What I Am."

I found giving up control to be immensely satisfying. I highly recommend it. Naturally, I still dominated the dinner conversation, but I'd do that anywhere.

That said, I did stick around to clean up afterwards.

Apropos of nothing, here's the infamous video of Leslie Uggams totally making up lyrics to "June is Bustin' Out All Over." Be sure to watch the second time with the subtitles before it gets pulled from youtube again.



Digg | Del.icio.us | Reddit | StumbleUponma

2 comments:

dpaste said...

That is one of my all-time favorite videos. I still laugh so hard I cry when I watch it.

Hillary said...

Oh gee thanks Marc. My son just finished a run of Carousel and I just got that song out of my head...now it's back in a whole new disturbingly funny way!

As for the new thing...yeah not likely that my spouse is going to let me just show up at a dinner party. You've got a keeper there! But the test is....who did the dishes??